Monday, January 5, 2009

Mortifying Milk Moments

On Friday, we had Doug & Correy over for dinner.  They had just flown in from New York, and called us to confirm when they were catching a taxi home to Arlington.  

Thankfully, Andy had cleaned the kitchen the day before.  We had cooked and run on so many occasions over the previous two weeks that there was a huge pile of dishes.  I had simply not felt up to standing for the time it would take to clean everything.  So, my wonderful husband spent what he claims was 6 or 7 hours washing, drying, and putting away every dish that we own; this was only a slight exaggeration.

So, I made a grocery list, Andy went to the grocery store, and I quickly picked up the living and dining room.  On the grocery list, I had specified which items were buy one get one free.  When Andy got home, he had only bought one of these without getting the one free.  He thought that he would get the one at half price; there is a reason for this thinking.  On a previous trip, he bought three of something when there was a 3/$5 sale; I made him return two of them explaining that he would get one for $1.66.  This information and discussion got mixed up with the buy one get one free sale.  After griping at him (I simply couldn't believe that my husband who is working on his Master's degree did this) and internally berating myself for having not specified to buy 2 of each, I finally shut up and was able to let it go.  Oh well, we had plenty of all necessary ingredients for that night's meal.  It turned out just fine once I chilled out.

We made a white bean dip, cheddar cheese balls, chicken, tortellini salad, bread, mashed potatoes, and an apple dessert.  Everyone else was drinking a glass of milk with dinner because they had already had some alcoholic drinks with the appetizers.  On Doug's second glass, someone said something about the milk having a strange taste.  After assuring them that the milk was fresh because we had just bought a new gallon the other day, we looked at the gallon which said best by Dec 25...oops!  Apparently, we had two jugs in the fridge while we were working at the ranch and didn't realize that one had gone bad while we were gone.  So, with some of our good friends who were exhausted from their travels, they drank expired milk and ate mashed potatoes that had the same expired milk mixed in them.  I was so embarrassed that we had served them bad milk; you would have thought we gave them food poisoning.  I hope that their tummies didn't give them any trouble the next day.  

I promise to check the expiration date on the milk for any future guests; it will probably become another one of my OCD things!

No comments: