Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Busy Couple of Weeks

About two weeks ago, I got an email from Cici, my sister-in-law, that her parents want to renew their vows in a ceremony and reception at their ranch at the end of May.  So, Jimmy & Mary Beth are working on their home and landscaping around the house; Cici & I are the party planners.  Since there is so much going on in other people's lives and I enjoy party planning so much, I've tried to do a lot of research online (thank the Lord for the internet; I can't imagine having to walk around, talk on the phone, look the books, etc. for that many hours).  I've seen so many cool ideas; it amazes me how creative some people are.

I spent two days looking at different stores to find the items to make our plans come to life.  Now, I've been feeling a lot better physically so I didn't think this would be a real problem.  And it wasn't; I mean I was tired and in pain, but not that debilitating pain.  I found a lot of the stuff I was looking for for the "wedding" and even managed to find a great lightweight pair of blue jeans.  I was feeling so proud of my body, but later after taking a shower, I noticed that there was some swelling in my lower legs, ankles, and feet.  I was a little annoyed, but since my body has problems when I take a shower, I'm used to things like that happening.  But the swelling didn't go away!!  It's gotten better over the past couple of days so at least that's something.  I guess I'll have to learn my body's limits - it sure would be great if they would not constantly change (not that I'm complaining that my body can do more!!)

Thursday, we took the dog out to the Ranch so that he could stay with Jimmy and Mary Beth while we were gone.  Once we got home, I suddenly felt like I had a ton of work that I had to do and that I wanted to house to be perfectly clean for when I came home...ha ha!  Combine this with Andy having a 7:30 am flight Friday morning, and the result is a 1-2 hour nap.  He was flying to South Dakota for some training and certification for work.  We ran a little late getting to the airport, but he had 30-45 minutes with few people around.  I gave a kiss goodbye, told him to hurry, and not to miss his flight...  Do you see where this might be headed?
After dropping him off I head to Austin to visit my friend, Amy, and her family.  After about two and a half hours of driving south, I get a phone call from Andy...he missed his flight...I should probably mention here that he was supposed to have a connecting flight (on another carrier) to a regional airport.  You can imagine how much of a fiasco this could turn into.  So, I'm sure that you are wondering how he missed his flight, or maybe you think there must have been a long line at the security checkpoint.  Wrong!  He forgot that he had a little Swiss Army Knife and his LEATHERMAN in his bag.  Yeah, they ran that through the X-ray machine, and promptly detained him.  So, an hour later he makes it through security minus the 2 offending articles which he had to mail home for $20!  He was PISSED!
After about 45 minutes of brooding and stewing, he called me to tell me the situation.  We made a game plan for how he should proceed to get to South Dakota before Monday.  He was able to do Standby for the next AA flight to Minneapolis; he left DFW at 10 instead of 7:30 am.  Thankfully, there was a later flight from Minneapolis to the airport in South Dakota.  He arrived at 4:30ish with the luggage he had checked.
So far, the training is going well.  He gets to sleep until about 7 am, doesn't have to drive all over the place because the training is at his hotel, is able to work on UTA homework or research in the evenings, and not have to worry about animals, wife, chores, etc.  It's like a vacation; he even is able to go to sleep relatively early!!  I told him I expect him to come home rested, relaxed, and with lots of school work done...

I had a wonderful time with Ricardo & Amy and their kids, Eliana and un-born Richy.  Unfortunately for the family, Eliana had been sick for several days and Amy has a sinus infection.  So, they weren't feeling very well and worked at at a much slower pace than usual.  That worked fine for me and my swollen, unhappy legs!  I still had a wonderful time visiting with them.  We had pretty much all of Sunday, and since Amy took a sick day on Monday, we had the whole day then too!

No comments: