Monday, August 9, 2010

Fabulous Food and Freezing Finds

FIND #1
We got a flier for Albertson's the other week that included some coupons. One of them was for pork loin for $0.99 per pound. Since the pieces were all quite large, I got $40 worth of meet for under $10.

FIND #2
Since there is no way that we could eat a 10 pound piece of pork even with several guests, we cut a little over half of it into several roasts to freeze. I used the remaining 4 lbs to make an apple roast pork recipe I had run across on the internet. The cooking method was nothing special; I cooked it in the oven and then shredded it. The gem of the recipe was how to freeze the leftovers!! The instructions are for freezing single portion sizes. Since I always struggle with there being way to much food for the two of us, this was the major attraction of the recipe. I sprayed a muffin tin with non-stick spray, filled the cups with the shredded meat and juice, and popped the tin in the freezer. Once frozen, the individual servings can go in a plastic bag, and Andy can pull them out whenever he likes.

FIND/THOUGHT #3
I think the muffin pan method will work well for chicken broth, among other things. As I was cleaning up in the kitchen, I realized that my mini-loaf pan would also work and be PERFECT for casseroles. Andy gets so tired of having to eat the same thing over and over because there is so much left over, even in a small pyrex pan. I can't want to put these to use again!!

To say the least, I was proud of each of my finds. By the time I'd finished, I was ecstatic!!

No comments: