Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sickly Kitty


At the beginning of the August, the cat stopped eating his food. We've had that happen before when he was sick. The vet advised us that wet food is easier for them to smell and therefore more appetizing. So, we assumed that the cat had a cold or stuffy nose and wasn't interested in the dry food. Off I went to the store to buy some wet food. Cappuccino was very excited when I opened the tin and added it to his bowl. He gobbled the stuff right up. After about two days of this progress, the cat started to throw up. We had noticed the nasty kitty litter but attributed that to him being sick and the change in diet. After the throwing up though, we made an appointment with the vet.
I dropped him off at the vet's office for them to observe him. He stayed there all day. When I arrived to pick him up, the people at the office told me what a cool cat he is. They always compliment our pets a lot. I'm sure that they do this to everyone, but I let myself believe that they really mean it with our pets.

By the time that I walked out of the office with the cat, I spent $240 and had 4 liquid medicines that the cat needed to take. So, no one was thrilled at our house. The cat hates liquid meds, and each of his meds was 1-3cc's. One of the medications was going to be twice a day too. When he had to take liquid medication before, he would foam at the mouth, end up with pink froth all over his mouth and chin, and shake the froth off so that it landed on the floor, walls, doors, etc. Lucky us; this time we had white, pink, orange, and yellow medications. I thought it would have been perfect if we had a canvas; we could come out of this experience with an interesting piece of artwork.

Thankfully, Andy was able to handle the medication administration better this time around. Only occasionally would the froth appear, but once it did, it was hard to stop it from getting worse. Here's a great shot of the outcome of frothing from the yellow medication. Unfortunately, you can't see his beautiful, plaintive blue eyes.

Now, the cat is back to normal and up to his usual mischief!!

No comments: